Monday, July 4, 2016

Widow to Widow

I happened across a Widow’s group on Facebook one night. I was feeling especially lonely and figured I’d check them out. It’s one of the best things I have ever done, because nobody understands exactly how you feel when you lose a loved one like someone who has been through it.

This group is in various stages of dealing with their grief. Some have not been widows for very long…some have been widows for years, much like me. Belonging to a group like this on the internet means that there is someone always there to talk to, no matter what time of the day or night you feel the need to log on.

In this group, you can express your sadness, your anger, your frustration or whatever else you need to say without being judged. No one tells you to “just deal with it” because they understand.

It’s not a “pity party” group. We help each other with things that are new to us. Out of all the members, usually someone has dealt with one circumstance or another and can give advice. We even tell each other how to make household or automotive repairs!

Widows often feel like they are alone and struggling. Joining a group of other widows helps us to feel…well, not so alone. We can ask questions about all the many things a widow faces as she makes this new lonely walk. Trust me, it helps.

If you are a new widow, or even a long time widow, I would recommend joining a group on Facebook. You may even find another widow that lives close enough so that the two of you (or three or four) can get together for lunch, dinner or any other kind of outing you all enjoy.

We even call it a “Sisterhood” of sorts and we all understand that none of us really want to be a part of a Widow’s group, but it’s the hand we have been dealt. Trust me, the women in my group are pretty awesome and we sure have gotten each other over some tough hurdles.

The admin is pretty strict about who she lets in, as we all know that widows get preyed on by some unscrupulous folks, so you can feel pretty safe, in my group at least. If you are a Widow and are interested in the group I am in, find me on Facebook and let me know and I will pass your info along to the admin of the group.


No comments:

Post a Comment